It’s Spring Break! What does that mean? It means that I need to find ways to occupy a 13-year-old for five days. So, what better thing to do than go strawberry pickin’! Luckily, the weather was beautiful so with a little SPF, we were on our way. Once at the farm, we were allowed to wander out into the field and fill our bucket with lots yummy little jewels. At only $1.50 per lb, we left with a bag full of berries and smiles on our faces.
Why am I writing about this on my beauty blog? Because strawberries are not only delicious, they are also a great natural beauty aid. Strawberries are packed full of antioxidants like Vitamin C. According to Best Health’s Reader Digest, Vitamin C ” is vital to the production of collagen, which helps to improve skin’s elasticity and resilience.” In addition, they also noted that “Researchers at Hallym University in the Republic of Korea concluded that ellagic acid visibly prevented collagen destruction and inflammatory response—two major factors in the development of wrinkles in human skin cells, after continued exposure to skin-damaging UV-B rays.”
There are lots of foods out there that provide beauty benefits – fruits and vegetables being some of the best. Identify your favorites and incorporate them into your daily diet. If you can turn it in to a fun day with the family (such as strawberry pickin’) – even better! Below is a list of some of the healthiest fruits and vegetables according to LiveStrong.com.
- Pomegranates – high in antioxidants such as vitamin C and ellagic acid
- Broccoli & Kate – full of fiber, vitamin C and vitamin A
- Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries & Strawberries – high in antioxidants
- Tomatoes – high in vitamin C and fiber as well as the antioxidant lycopene
- Avocados – rich in fiber, vitamin E and healthy unsaturated fats
- Brussel Sprouts – great source of folic acid, fiber, calcium, vitamins K, A and C
- Apples – contains a variety of antioxidants
Until next time – stay beautiful (and eat some strawberries!) ~ Devon