Time to pull out your sweaters, coats, jeans, boots and yes, your winter make-up. I’m not talking about special make-up that keeps your face warm or protects your skin from cold weather and wind (although how cool would that be). I’m talking about that time of year were you can transition from light spring/summer colors to bolder and/or smokier colors. During the spring/summer months, I typically wear a plum hue (Sephora No 32 Pop Idol), which gives me a little color and makes my blue eyes pop. Once October hits, I switch to black with a hint of gold – a look that is a little bolder. If you don’t want to change your eyeshadow color, you can always apply it a little heavier and/or try a darker eyeliner.
My winter eye make-up look:
Eyeshadow Primer: Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Sin (I love this product – anytime of the year!)
Shadow: Sephora Black Light (darkest color in the trio); MAC This & That (gold color in the duo)
Liner: Sephora Long-lasting Eyeliner in Black (liquid liner) along top of lashes; Make-up Forever Aqua Eyes 01 for bottom lashes
Highlight Under Brow: Benefit Watt’s Up!
Mascara: Benefit They’re Real!
Do’s When Going to a Smoky Eye Look
- Do use a light hand at first. You can always apply more but it’s really hard to take it away once it is applied – especially when it comes to a grey/black shade.
- Do dust a light amount of loose powder under yours eyes to catch any excess shadow. You can easily dust it away with a big powder brush when you are done with the application.
- Do run a sponge tipped brush over your eyeliner in order to get that smoky look.
- Do select your colors carefully. Sometimes, grey colors can have a bluish tint. Try to find one that does not have too much silver in it (unless that is the look you are going for).
If you don’t want to go with a darker eye look, you can always go with a darker lip shade. Some of my fall/winter lip colors:
- MAC Lipstick Fresh Moroccan (brick red with gold pearl)
- CoverGirl Outlast Eternal Flame
- Revlon Colorstay Lipliner in Chocolate – use this dark liner to line and fill in your lips and make a light/medium color look darker
Whether you go with bold eyes or bold lips, it’s time to get your winter look on!
Until next time, stay beautiful! ~ Devon